On a related topic, this poster might be of interest to list members:

*Exploiting Elsevier’s Creative Commons License Requirement to Subvert
Embargo*

"In the last round of author sharing policy revisions, Elsevier created a
labyrinthine title-by-title embargo structure requiring embargoes from
12-48 months for author sharing via institutional repository (IR), while
permitting immediate sharing via author's personal website or blog. At the
same time, all pre-publication versions are to bear a Creative
Commons-Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivatives (CC-BY-NC-ND) license.

"At the time this policy was announced, it was rightly criticized by many
in the scholarly communication community as overly complicated and
unnecessary. However, this CC licensing requirement creates an avenue for
subverting the embargo in the IR to achieve quicker open distribution of
the author's accepted manuscript.

"In short, authors may post an appropriately licensed copy on their
personal site, at which point we may deposit without embargo in the IR, not
through the license granted in the publication agreement, but through the
CC license on the author's version, which the sharing policy mandates. This
poster will outline this issue, our experimentation with application, and
engage viewers in questions regarding its potential risks, benefits, and
workflows."

https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/handle/1808/24107

​

On 18 June 2017 at 12:24, Mittermaier, Bernhard <b.mitterma...@fz-juelich.de