And then these “researcher driven initiatives" will eventually just get bought
out by Elsevier or another big publisher, or lag because they can’t find stable
funding.

That is why we need a community-based infrastructure, governed and managed in a
distributed way, which will allow researchers to innovate and build their
services on top.

Some of us are coalescing around an ecosystem that looks like this:

1. Libraries support and manage open content locally (that is actually the
mission of a library)

2. Value added networked services are built on top - including peer review and
annotation

3. Move subscription funds towards local content management and to support
network services

4. Adopt governance principles for this global research infrastructure as
recommended in Bilder G, Lin J, Neylon C (2015) Principles for Open Scholarly
Infrastructure-v1, retrieved [date],
http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1314859

We need to find solutions that are “at scale” if we want to change the system.

Best, Kathleen