I'd like to publicly commend Stephen Buranyi for this article. He spent a
*lot*of time on it, and spent a whole day with me getting a historical and
current perspective. Originally I think he hoped to give pointers for the
future, but the story (rightly) mutated itself into Maxwell , which is
exactly where it should be. Not enough people realise that it was
effectively Maxwell who has corrupted the scholarly publishing system and
this is an excellent and timely reminder of the initial causes.

P.

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Donald Samulack - Editage <
donald.samul...@editage.com> wrote:

> I ask that the industry consider whether or not SciHub activities could
> possibly be the work of one individual residing in Russia, or whether there
> is something more malicious taking place instead.
>

> I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it makes sense to me (and I have not
> heard any serious argument otherwise) in light of recent Russian attempts
> to alter the course of the US election (and others), that if Russia
> *really* wanted to get into the computers of every research lab and
> academic institution around the world, there would be no better way to do
> it than to give away free research articles. Please think about this… a
> cover for a phishing exercise targeting every atomic energy facility,
> WHO-sponsored lab, CDC facilities, government and state labs around the
> world, leading academic institutions housing the world’s cutting edge
> intellectual property, etc.
>

> The computing and article collating power that this single person would
> need to have at her disposal to be able to have the IP change every 10
> minutes (as I understand it), archive and mirror the collections, etc. may
> not be the resources and activities of a single person. We need to consider
> this possibility in this new world we live in, and also consider the
> consequences of not taking steps to shut down such potentially corrupt
> intent, if in fact such intent is ongoing.
>

> Donald Samulack
>
> (Speaking as a concerned citizen)

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069