Seems to me that the Russian thing is a(nother) manifestation of the need to
deal with the broader issues. As the article implied, scientific publishing is
a unique, peculiar, process. Over the years it has moved from a societal
activity, supported by professional participants, for their professional needs,
to an economic activity, progressively owned by fewer and fewer  participants.
This concentration, supported by massive changes in the technological
environment, has, inevitably, led to various circumventions, mostly technically
illegal.

Despite strong movements to replace the processes by more equitable means of
information dissemination, the legal basis is unchanged. An individual who
wishes to have their results well distributed can make a choice. That choice
has consequences.

There it lies, we may try to change the law, an unlikely international
procedure. We can defy the law, leading to inevitable prosecution, if the
commercial processes are affected. Or, we can live with what we have.

For me, the last option is the best we can expect.