Accuracy and author reputation are as important in the realm of facts as well
as other types of approach to knowledge such as theory. To take a current
hypothetical example, it matters whether an expert epidemiologist does, or does
not, recommend the use of hydroxychloroquine as a prophylatic in the treatment
of COVID.

Every advance in media technology raises both positive and negative potential
uses. Social media facilitates sharing of both accurate and inaccurate
information. Spreading inaccurate information can be done innocently or
deliberately.

I argue that the OA movement has achieved sufficient momentum that it is now
timely to move beyond one-sided arguments focused solely on the benefits to
encompass discussion on both the positives and negatives of particular aspects
of "open".

One area of emerging issues that I plan to learn a bit more about (thanks to a
webinar series through the University of Ottawa's Centre for Law, Technology,
and Society and speaker Suzie Dunn) is the legal and ethical issues relating to
identity arising from AI and robotics.

It is already fairly easy to use and/or alter someone else's identity without
their permission. Many people do this at home using photoshop. This new
technology creates a new threat to identity. It takes time for law to catch up
with such new challenges. I predict that in future we will have stronger laws
to protect our privacy and publicity rights. In the meantime, I recommend
limiting risk by avoiding open licenses that actively encourage modification.

What does this have to do with scholarship? Picture a robot conducting a
webinar giving the illusion that they are a particular expert epidemiologist,
without bothering to check with said epidemiologist. Does it make sense to
assume that no one would ever do such a thing for anything other than the
purest of intentions and with the level of expertise of the individual who is
impersonated? I make so assumption, and recommend that scholars use every means
they can to discourage such downstream uses and facilitate legal action to
fight if necessary.

If I understand correctly, CC "BY" clause provides a bit of protection, that
is, the right for creators to demand that objectionable downstream users remove
the attribution. Clarification would be appreciated. However, because CC-BY is
an active invitation to downstream modifications, it increases the risk. Many
scholars do not have the means to actively monitor downstream uses and take
legal action if these are objectionable. For this reason, I argue that it is
better to avoid the risk by avoiding the more "open" licenses.

best,

Dr. Heather Morrison

Associate Professor, School of Information Studies, University of Ottawa

Cross-appointed, Department of Communication

Professeur Agrégé, École des Sciences de l'Information, Université d'Ottawa

Principal Investigator, Sustaining the Knowledge Commons, a SSHRC Insight
Project

sustainingknowledgecommons.org

heather.morri...@uottawa.ca

https://uniweb.uottawa.ca/?lang=en#/members/706

[On research sabbatical July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020]