--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "J. Almeida" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You write of religious belief:
>
>"something to cling to in spite
>of contrary evidence"
>
>As far as my own religious belief goes, I suggest that
>you first present some contrary evidence, then decide
>whether I cling or not. Until then, I am inclined to
>dismiss such statements as mere prejudice.

Joel, you do indeed use the word prejudice in an unusually liberal
and, I venture to say, in a transparently self-serving way. I hope you
realize that summarily dismissing a fairly innocuous statement as
prejudice might also be construed by some as prejudice.

When I say a belief based on faith is held in spite of contrary
evidence, I am referring to the undeniable fact that countless people
everyday believe in all sorts of religiously inspired "miraculous"
events, such as Ganesh idols drinking buckets of milk, or weeping
statues, or stigmata, or Satya Sai Baba materializing Seiko watches.
All these events have been repeatedly demonstrated to be false by
investigation. But people, even some prominent Indian scientists,
continue to believe in some of them based purely on faith.

I have no prejudice against them. To me faith and scientific evidence
have equally positive emotional appeal. But it is important to keep
them separate.

> Ignore claims that science is incompatible with religion. Both, at
>their best, keep us firmly rooted in reality.

Science is incompatible with religion if these two systems of thought
attempt to encroach on each other's domain. That is why it is futile
to apply the scientific method to basic religious beliefs, and to
teach religious ideas in a science classroom.

>Religion and prayer also "reach the parts that science cannot reach",
>helping us lead a more meaningful, fuller and happier life.

A sizable minority of people can and do live a "meaningful, fuller and
happier life" in the absence of religion and prayer, and in some cases
 especially after having freed themselves from their particular brand
of religion. And that is a dispassionately stated fact, not a prejudice.

Regards,

Santosh