In a message dated 02/03/2003 1:18:42 PM EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Out of curiosity, were these the only two classifications available to the
 registrars when it came to race? Also, was there any criteria to determine
 race or merely skin color? >>

My first US Driving License listed my "Race" as Code '2'

The Race/Color Code (listed on the reverse of the driving license):

1. Black, Colored, American Negro
2. White Caucasian, Asiatic Indian (Natives of India and some Arab countries)
3. Mongloid, Oriental Asiatic
4. Mongloid, American Indian

Such documents, as Goa's birth registries, can barely identify one's roots.
They are designed to serve an intended purpose. And the old era changes,
yielding place to new.

Meticulous research is needed to delve into family history and available
records for developing a family tree. And a continuity commitment is
essential to justify such an effort.

Colo(u)r, like beauty, is only skin deep. Caste and race, just as blinders,
obfuscate the real life situation. It is who or what we are that make our
mark in history!

Proud to be a Goan:

Pat de Sousa
Maryland, USA