Prof. Bryan Sykes at Oxford University has identified a total of 36 groups
or clans, each representing a single female ancestor through a direct
maternal line.  A mitochondrial DNA sequencing will determine your maternal
clan.  Likewise a Y-chromosone analysis will determine your paternal
lineage.   A study of randomly selected individuals in a localized
population -like Goa - would be interesting.

Check www.oxfordancestors.com  for more details.  The book by Prof. Sykes
entitled The Seven Daughters of Eve gives more details.

T.D'Silva