Dear Paulo Colaco-Dias, There is just one Miguel posting on Goanet,so I do not see the need to write my surname every time. I am definitely not ashamed of my name.I am proud to be a Braganca[I write it as Braganza,for I hate to be called Braganka for want of a proper type face or key]Both my parents are Braganca. I am Miguel Arcanjo Braganca,joneiro/gaunkar of Communidade Agricole de Mapusa and a parishioner of St.Jerome's Church famous for its Milagres feast(Festa da Nossa Senhora das Milagres).My residential address and phone number can be given to you on request. Your friend Bernado Colaco does not have the courage to do likewise. Aquino Braganca is not my first cousin:he is one generation older to me. I only stated that he was born in Goa to differentiate from Rui Colaco,who was born in Mocambique.He and my uncle Luis were in Mocambique.They made different choices and both were different from the one that Rui made.That was the purpose of the statement. Nothing else. We have lots of achievers in my family.I was not boasting about Aquino and Luis;just stating an example. I think you can understand that. If you cannot,I am wasting my time.
Granted that most our parents[and many of us on the goanet who were born upto 18 December,1961] were Portuguese nationals by virtue of being born in the Estado da India.Unless you have European blood in you,I do not see the Portuguese descent. I am 100% Goan[not mulatto,descendent or mestizo or ,for that matter ,siddhi/abyssinian]and that makes me an Indian. You may be confused about that.I am not. Get your DNA tested. Pakistani,Nepali and Bangladeshi peoples belong to the Indian sub-continent.They just have different nationalities. The Bangladeshi people are Bengali.Till December,1971,they were called East Pakistani and before 1947 they were Indians.One does not change one's genes with one's nationality,citizenship or passport. Those who think they do,delude themselves. I have accepted the differentiation that Rui made between 'running a casino' and living off its profits. Since you are harping on it,I would like to add that a pimp who lives on the earnings of a prostitute does not become more respectable than the prostitute.At least the prostitute works for her living---even though it is mostly on her back. Does that clear your doubt. After 1999,one prostitute's earnings were no longer available to those who would like to venerate the veneral.Viva Macau! To me Rui is an intelligent,balanced person.You do him dis-service by picking up his cause. He is capable of handling it in a more gentlemanly manner."Lastly, Miguel, in future, please talk for yourself" . I do not recall Rui authorizing you to post on his behalf. Practice what you preach. I speak and write for myself. If you want to advise Goans in Goa[I am one of them],come down here,surrender your passport ,nationality and citizenship of Portugal and talk.If you do not have that courage,hold your peace. Sitting in Portugal you can talk of corruption in India.You will sing a different tune if you are sentenced to a jail term for libel/defamation in India. Have courage to face the consequences,or continue as differently coloured citizen of an adopted land. If you have a problem with other national of your adopted country,that is your problem.Solve it in Portugal,in Portuguese or any other language of your choice. Why are you wasting time and space on Goanet? If you lack cheer in Portugal,drink Porto,Tinto or Azeite de Antonio* Oliviera* Salazar! Or join Mocidade Portuguesa. Cheers! Viva Goa!! Miguel Arcanjo de Braganca ----- Original Message ----- From: "Colaco-Dias, Paulo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 3:25 PM Subject: Re: [Goanet]Goa's social indicators Hi Miguel, Rui clearly stated he is a Portuguese citizen from birth. Also, when referring to your cousin, why did you mention "His parents were Portuguese nationals of Goan birth/descent"? Weren't your parents in the same situation? And don't you think that is the case for the very large majority of members in this forum? Secondly, I cannot understand why you brought Mocambique into this thread. Unless, of course, you wanted to introduce your most important relatives who were there too serving the first president of that Republic? Fair enough. OK. I am now aware of that. Fourthly, I do not think Rui was giving his advice to anyone. He was merely expressing his opinions. As you must have noted, all of Rui's posts were responses to other posts (you yourself referred to them as "quite well balanced and almost fair" opinions). . - How many years after 1961 was statehood achieved and Konkani language recognized? And please, do not try to convince me we were all Indians in Goa anyway and that India existed as a country for a million years so Goa should have been also given back to India. We were all Indians just like the Pakistanis were all Indians! So, why don't we call them Indians too? Lastly, Miguel, in future, please talk for yourself. I cannot remember anyone asking you to represent all of us Goans in this forum. You certainly do not represent me. I respect your opinion but we are all different individuals and certainly have different ideas. Like Rui, I am here to discuss my opinions, not to advice anyone. BTW, will I ever have the pleasure of knowing your surname? Is it Braganca? Or are you too ashamed of your Portuguese surname to mention it? No cheers today! Paulo Colaco Dias -----Original Message----- From: Miguel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Dear Netters, >From the text of the postings from Rui two things are clear: 1.He believes he is Portuguese( Absolutely nothing wrong in that: He was born a Portuguese national in Mocambique.He lives as a Portuguese national, citizen ,and most probably[he has not stated this in any of his postings that I have read],is a Portuguese passport holder.There is no dichotomy in his thinking.) 2.He does not accept the independence of Mocambique as having any effect on him by virtue of having been born in that country or growing up there. It is not his native land,he was just born there.[ His response to the independence is the third option. My uncle came back to Goa after 1975.His first cousin,Aquino Braganca, stayed back as the Advisor to the first President of Mocambique,Samora Machel,and died with him in a plane crash. 'Gosto e relative': Tastes differ!] His parents were Portuguese nationals of Goan birth/descent.He is Portuguese. Lastly,if Goans have been able to handle their birth rate,mortality rates,life expectancy,per capita income,politicians ,elections and social indicators to be the best state in India and live just one year less that our brethren in Portugal,do we really need advice from good intentioned,well-meaning ,well educated and widely travelled Portuguese citizens??? If we need, we will ask. We even have the email IDs of possible consultants in this context. Why the unsolicited advice ad nauseam? To his credit,I will say that Rui has kept his postings quite well balanced and almost fair.That I do not agree with his assesment and compulsion to advise us Goans in Goa how to be more Goan [Mais papista du que Papa--More Pope-like than the Pope himself] is another matter. I hope we can wind up this thread on the so-called 'bharati invasion' (the Portuguese have every right to think of it that way) of 1961 and move on to topics of mutual benefit. This benefits no one. There is no question of Rui repatriating to Goa: he is not an ex-patriate from here.He is happily living in his Patria. He should let us live peacefully in our Matria,Amchem Goem amkam zai!! Warm regards to all, Miguel --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.514 / Virus Database: 312 - Release Date: 8/28/2003 ########################################################################## # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts # # More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others # ##########################################################################
