Dear Goanetters,

    You must all be aware by now of the horrifying events
    in Panaji yesterday .

    http://www.navhindtimes.com/articles.php?Story_ID=022018

    The knee jerk reaction from the police wherein they
    also indulged in violence reflects a complete breakdown
    of law and order.Why did they not just arrest the
    Taleigao MLA in the first place ?

    http://www.goanews.com/20feb08.htm

    More gruesome details. This is in Devnagri konkani but
    does have a couple of revealing photographs.

    http://www.goanews.com/pdf/suna200208.pdf

    Apart from the usual stereotyped press statement
    from the chief secretary , the administration was
    silent on the issue. Let alone making their presence
    felt at the incident site , the chief minister and the
    home minister were simply " unavalaible for comment ".
    The term eunuch is the only appropriate one I can
    think of at the moment to describe the top brass
    in the current government.

    http://www.navhindtimes.com/articles.php?Story_ID=022017

    Manohar Parrikar is the only politician who seems to
    have come out of these sad events with any degree
    of credibility . I would say that even if I detested him
    and the BJP with the same visceral hate that some on
    this forum exhibit.
    I hope fellow goanetters ( particularly from the other
    side of the divide ) agree.

    luv and regards,
    anand

    ( Dr Anand Virgincar )