Very interesting to read some of the remarks over my reference to
'Tarvotteachim bondollam' used in my open questions to Churchill Alemao. I am
definitely not the first one to use the phrase but people tell me that there is
a konkani song with this theme. In my childhood the phrase was used very often.
But what is of little surprise is that instead of debating upon the primary
contents we Goans choose are experts at diverting the focus and clinging to the
irrelevant.
No one denies that Tarvottis and gulfies did not improve their own living
conditions and educate their children. But besides improving their economic
status and personal social status, what has been their meaningful contribution
to the over all political, social and cultural development of this State? They
brought in the money and hoarded it in the banks? Did they not start off the
rat race with other less fortunate Goans trying to imitate them and resorting
to beg, borrow or steal to also improve their economic status? Did this
lifestyle not trigger off a mistaken notion of economic and social empowerment
in Goa? Who is it that danced with the politicians to get benefits as sailors
and NRIs from the politicians? Did all this not trigger off a feeling among
Goans that migrating abroad  gives benefits of special government status for
the dollars they bring in, while those who stay on and serve their own State
and country get nothing?
These are the issues that need to be discussed.

-Soter D'Souza