This is my consolidated refutation of the factually erroneous statements made
in the two posts appended below.

The claim that just because one obtains more than 60,000 hits on Google by
searching for the phrase "aspartame, genetically modified", it must be true, is
naive and demonstrably false. The phrase "UFO are real" gets nearly 2 million
hits on Google. The phrases "ghosts are real" and "Santa Claus is real" get
more than 9 million and 14 million hits, respectively. How many Goanetters want
to believe these claims?

It is well known that there are more fake, untrustworthy, irresponsible,
conspiratorial and crackpot websites on the internet than genuine ones. This is
also true with all the books that are published. So on health, medical and
scientific matters, it is important to trust information that is only provided
by internationally recognized organizations in these fields. For example, the
following information provided by the U.S. National Cancer Institute refutes
the bogus claim made in one of the posts appended below regarding cancer and
aspartame, namely the claim that no study has established that aspartame does
not cause cancer:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/risk/aspartame

The following claims are also utterly false:

1. That aspartame is made by genetic modification.

2. That "anything Genetically Modified has its repercussions with your genes."

Aspartame is made from two naturally occurring amino acids. One of the natural
amino acids used, namely phenylalanine is sometimes obtained in pure form in
some parts of the world from a strain of harmless bacteria (E. coli) that live
in our gut under normal conditons, but there is absolutely no chemical
difference between this phenylalanine and the one that is present in our body.

Genetic modification has nothing to do with repercussions with our genes. In
obtaining useful and life saving medicines this modification is done in the
genes of harmless bacteria to express human polypeptides and proteins in high
concentrations. Medicines that are produced in this manner include insulin,
growth hormone, factors that are missing in blood clotting disorders called
hemophilia, etc. If you want to know details about genetic engineering, and why
it is not what is claimed to be in the post appended below, please let me know.
I would be happy to provide more information because of my past hands-on
experience with that technology.

Cheers,

Santosh

--- On Fri, 10/15/10, Dr. Ferdinando dos Reis Falcão <drferdina...@hotmail.com>