On 10 February 2015 at 15:42, Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 February 2015 at 17:18, Sergio Tortosa Benedito <serto...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Right now we rely on Install and Compile, but I've been thinking about
>> changing the package management way. Lately, there's been a shift towards
>> bundles, and I find Gobo a perfect fit for this. I thought we could use a
>> bundling system called Limba for applications and a something like OStree
>> for the main OS. What do you think?
>> PD: I'm aware this is thinking big but it's something should be defined.
>
> I had to go and Google these projects, but now that I have a very
> vague general understanding of what they do, I see your point.
>
> However, this is proposing very major changes to a distro that is
> already critically under-staffed at the moment anyway.
>
> Might I suggest that you write up 2 or 3 detailed descriptions of what
> both of these things would mean, separately and jointly, explaining
> what Limba and OSTree are, what benefits they would bring, what costs,
> etc.? That way people could judge for themselves without having to go
> and do possibly hours of research.

+1 to this. :)

I'd also add that integrating third-party tools to our core design
always brings risks (associated to the maintenance of said tools). For
some time, our boot scripts integrated with Runit and we ended up
having to dissociate from that, and it was extra work. If anything, I
think we should go towards _more_ minimalism if we want to keep the
project viable.

-- Hisham