On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had to go and Google these projects, but now that I have a very
> vague general understanding of what they do, I see your point.
>
> However, this is proposing very major changes to a distro that is
> already critically under-staffed at the moment anyway.
>
> Might I suggest that you write up 2 or 3 detailed descriptions of what
> both of these things would mean, separately and jointly, explaining
> what Limba and OSTree are, what benefits they would bring, what costs,
> etc.? That way people could judge for themselves without having to go
> and do possibly hours of research.

Here are the links I found when searching for Limba and OSTree.

http://blog.tenstral.net/2014/11/introducing-limba-a-software-installer-experiment.html

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/OSTree

The Limba post references this "famous blogpost" by Lennart Poettering
from September 2014.

http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

After a cursory review, it seems to me Poettering's proposal offers
solutions to many of the problems that motivated the creation of Gobo.
Given Poettering's influence and record of accomplishment, I'd
recommend the Gobo devs take a look at it.

There is also this comment on the Limba post:

Jasem Mutlaq commented on 29. January 2015:
[Limba has a] Refreshing approach, but with all the work done in Nix
and Lennart’s proposal, I think most developers are going to sit and
wait until ONE proposal gains real cross-distro tracktion, just like
Systemd did

-mpb