hsmyers: as a pioneer I really appreciate your input!  I was planning to
run godelbrot on my Pi, so I will definitely check out your venerable
FracZoom program for RISC.

*However, *drawing an outline box is exactly what earlier versions did.

I found that people just couldn't figure it out.

What happens is that they would click randomly a whole bunch of times. Then
they would zoom into a tiny area of space, and decide my program is broken.

No-one even noticed the box until they stop panicking.  By then they're
looking at a large area of nothing.

*It was really unintuitive.*

The reason is that there is no conceptual mapping between the mouse pointer
and drawing a box to zoom a fractal unless you have seen it before.

So I started looking for a conceptual map.  I came upon the following
realisation:

With a box, small clicks = massive change.  Long click (dragging the box) =
small change.

With my evolved method, small clicks = small change and long clicks = big
change.

I know that a bunch of different fractal programs use the box method.
 Arguably, it is more efficient *if you already know about it*.

You are correct though that the box should stay up on screen; there should
be a progress indicator.   This is covered in the following
issue https://github.com/johnny-morrice/webdelbrot/issues/10

I actually really like Pierre Durand's interface.  The digital zoom effect
is very nice.  I'd like to move to that some time.

However, there are tonnes of interactive-focussed renderers in the vein of
Xaos.  Some in pure javascript with openGL.

That's fine but it's been done and I don't really want to go down that
path; my focus is on movie generation, and creating a testbed for tinkering
e.g. extensibility.

Johnny