I don't know what the true story actually is, however some camera hardware
makers such as Nikon are giving software developers a tough time by
intentionally obfuscating their metadata. A lot of folks had big problems
with that including adobe. I just mentioned "reverse engineering" to
indicate a potential for far bigger mess. Enough said.

I was not aware of Rawspeed. I do not have any personal preferences, all I
was saying is that a lot of hard work has already been done and it would be
reasonable to try and leverage it.  Go language would be good,  I think,
because a lot of programmers that would like to help out in opensource
image processing drop out when they discover C++ is just to hard. They try
for a while and then they just give up. Maybe Go language has the potential
to bring some change to that problem.