On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Brad Fitzpatrick <bradf...@golang.org> wrote:
> I also want to understand whether the Go project considers /r/golang an
> official space. The fact that the sidebar says "If you encounter an issue,
> please mail cond...@golang.org" suggests to me that it IS an official space.

And this is a mistake. The /r/golang reddit was not created as an
official Go space. The late Uriel created it, then gave mod power to
some people, including /u/rsc from the Go team, and to some other
people not from the Go team. People from the Go team had no
involvement there **whatsoever** until very, very recently. Even now
their involvement has been minimal.

At some point some /r/golang moderator from the Go team abused his
power and decreed the /r/golang an official Go space. Nobody was
asked, it was a hostile takeover. Some voiced their concern, but not
for long, because, after all, the Go team are not terrible people and
as I already mentioned, the Go team still continued to not have any
significant level of involvement there.

> But if Go DOES consider it an official space, then I would argue it shouldn't
> be.

I agree here.

> And in this case, we need to decide what to do with /r/golang
> (make it private, delete it, pass on ownership and request that
> it be labeled unofficial in the sidebar, etc).

Pass it on to whoever, and make it clear in the sidebar that this is
not officially associated with the Go project.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu