On 2017-12-06 10:56, Christophe Meessen wrote:
> The main opposing arguments are
> - everybody uses python in astrophysics
> - it is very easy to find someone who knows python
> - risk that I, sole Go programmer, might become unavailable

And those are important arguments - especially if the "everybody uses"
includes that there's important libraries only available for python.

Though not for scientific experiments, I've find the best argument for
Go over Python is better concurrency with lesser memory footprint.
I have a python HTTP server where a single request can make a worker
process size increase from 65Mb to 4.3Gb and the only way to make the OS
reclaim that memory from the worker is to kill it off and spawn a new.
That's the kind of moments you think "If only this was written in Go".

But that might be totally irrelevant for a science application. Usually
"if it ain't broken, don't fix it", applies.

/Peter