On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Sebastien Binet <bi...@cern.ch> wrote:

> Christophe,
>
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Christophe Meessen <
> christophe.mees...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a computer scientist in charge of developing an image processing
>> pipeline for telescope images.
>> It will also have a web server and DB connection.
>>
>> The project is going through reviews by external experts, and the problem
>> I'm facing is that my proposal to use Go is about to be rejected.
>>
>> The main opposing arguments are
>> - everybody uses python in astrophysics
>> - it is very easy to find someone who knows python
>> - risk that I, sole Go programmer, might become unavailable
>>
>> I would have the same arguments if I was project leader and unfamiliar
>> with Go.
>>
>> The counter arguments I found so far are that
>> - Go is simpler and safer than Python
>> - I learned Go in a week-end
>>
>> The problem is that they don't convince people who don't know Go, are not
>> experienced software developers, and don't want to do the due diligence.
>> It's the usual inertia to change.
>>
>> What other arguments could I use ?
>>
>> Do you know other significant scientific experiments that have adopted Go
>> ?
>>

> in physics, I know 3 experiments that have parts of their software written
> in Go:
> - SoLiD (they wrote their data acquisition system in Go, as well as some
> environmental sensors monitoring (on raspi3)).
>  The DAQ code isn't public but there is an IEEE presentation about it
> (Nick Ryder)
>  The monitoring code is there: https://github.com/sbin
> et-solid/solid-mon-rpi
>
> - LSST: one of the subcomponents testing system has been written in Go
> (slow control):
>  https://github.com/go-lsst/fcs-lpc-motor-ctl
>
> - EIC: there is some R&D code for the Electron-Ion collider that is being
> written in Go (and can generate code for C++, Python and Java)
>  https://github.com/decibelCooper/eicio

ah! and I almost forgot about CMS@LHC: they're in the middle of rewritting
their data placement + data transfer system from PERL to Go.
https://github.com/vkuznet/transfer2go
https://github.com/vkuznet/transfer2go/blob/master/docs/Transfer2go_RD_201709.pdf
https://github.com/vkuznet/dbs2go

it seems Valentin is also playing with TensorFlow and Go for CMS:
https://github.com/vkuznet/TFaaS

-s