As an alternate to Linux VMs, is it possible to install the Windows
Subsystem <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10> on
the Windows 10 lab machines?

What IDE, if any, do you plan to use and how complex are the programs? Do
you need to worry about C integration, cross-compilation, or other
complexity? If not, some of the concerns in this thread are eliminated or
minimized.

Personally (but I'm "old school"), I think it is good for students to learn
about the underlying environment, so learning Linux, command-line
compilation, etc will make them better, well-rounded developers, especially
for Go, which is focused more on the back-end systems programming. It's
frustrating in the business world where we may have a great developer, but
they don't understand the underlying computing environment and aren't as
effective when more complex issues come up with code verses infrastructure
interaction. I think a "converged" developer is a good thing.