Go does not run in a VM like JVM and CLR languages do, but Go provides a
"language as a platform"-like feel by allowing for code that is by and
large platform-independent. It is true that executables have to be built
for each platform but that has benefits of its own. Java applications
require the JVM to be installed, while Go executables work immediately on
the platform without dependencies.

Additionally, I don't really see why having a VM (which I assume is what
you mean by a platform) makes for better language in the cloud space. For
the most part, machines running in the cloud use Linux. If you build your
executable for Linux, you're done. No extra environment configuration
required like one would have to do to run a VM language. Building the
executable is often easy because of Go's great cross-compilation support.
This ease of deployment is something people talk up Go for quite a bit.

If you try Go out, I suspect you won't miss the JVM or the CLR.