On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 8:08 AM Reto <reto@labrat.space> wrote:

> In my view you don't necessarily need to speak English, although it helps
> a lot.
> Go uses utf-8 for all identifiers, so assuming you treat the keywords as
> blobs and just remember when to use which you should be fine.
>
> The issue being more that all existing packages worth using are written
> with English identifiers, it being the defacto universal language of the
> world.
> Same goes for the corresponding docs.
>
> Writing programs in multiple languages just fragments the ecosystem for no
> real benefit.

and imagine having to debug a program written in - say - russian, with all
the variables, functions (and their abbreviations) and comments in russian.
(I am not picking on russian programs.
It just happens that during my PhD, I'd inherited a physics simulation
program written by russian colleagues, and I had to maintain and develop it.
not something I want to do ever again :P)

cheers,
-s