It is of course more complicated than most people believe. The right is
often wrong; the wrong often has long precedence. The British -ise ending
is an early 20th century misguided respelling based on invalid theories of
etymology. Programme is just something that came out of the blue, from
Scotland I believe, replacing the older program again relatively recently
(the occasional American pronunciation that rhymes with pogrom is a
catastrophe of its own). And so on and so on. What is perceived as British
and correct is often felt worthy through its Britishness but is in fact
more recently constructed than, for instance theater replacing theatre.

Webster did indeed drop the colourful u's, with good reason (we are not
French), and jail is a clear improvement over the ludicrous gaol, with
similar favorable positions taken on draft/draught etc., but most of his
adjustments never caught on as canon, thru being the closest to making it.
Most of his attempts died on his tung (sic).

Canada mostly follows the American (-ize, jail, tire, etc.) but keeps the
French u's and re's. Australia is closer to Britain but sticks with jail
and tire. I'm sure every English speaking country has its own set, and each
is valid in place.

Language is rich, English orthography perhaps richest of all. Don't cast
aspersions, just be consistent. Most of all, don't believe that the Brits
are always "proper".

The Go team's spelling standard honors the modern American style. It needs
to pick something to be consistent, but you are of course free to do as you
will in your own world, and you should.

-rob