I think the hostility stems from the fact that there are two very distinct
camps (sort of mirrors the current political world). There are those that think
the current Go way is fine, and no need to fix it. There are others that think
it needs to be radically overhauled (and that ‘try’ doesn’t go far enough) - so
neither camp is happy, and maybe both feel that the change is an appeasement
and maybe ‘change for change sake’/marketability, and that’s bound to make both
sides (with strong beliefs as you state) kind of frustrated and maybe angry.

People don’t like change, and they don’t like compromise while it is happening,
but they often realize it was the best course of action at a later date.

Although I agree with you that the subject is easy to grasp, I don’t think that
necessarily makes the solution easy. What is “best” heavily depends on the
use-case, and with a general purpose language, you end up with conflicting
“bests”. Which is why I’ve argued for quite a while that for Go to truly
succeed, it needs to define what it is primarily used for, and then the
language constructs and facilities can align. A lot of the complaints around
Java is that it has become so large (and complex) - and the reason being it
tries to be all things to all people. Often the hardest thing to do when
designing software is to know what to leave out, and I think the Go elders have
done a admirable job here. It is the community, mainly the developers that have
invested time/effort in learning & championing Go, that want to expand its area
of influence (and complexity) - not coincidentally increasing their value at
the same time.