Dear Ian

re :  "However, I don't understand how to make
that work in practice. "

from my research so far I found tons of Github Actions related to
"Projects"...

just some examples:
https://github.com/marketplace/actions/all-in-one-project
https://github.com/marketplace/actions/assign-to-one-project
https://github.com/marketplace/actions/github-projects-column-mirror
https://github.com/marketplace/actions/automate-projects

My proposal:

- you configure a public github project with columns ("proposal", "language
change", "Go2", "Feature Request",...) that operates on golang
organizational level; link it to go language repo!
-  the contributer files a "request" issue(just title, feature, subject; no
details) in the go repo
- @settings/users of the public project you invite the contributor to drop
a "proposal" note (maybe through github actions(?); this is the detailed
contribution, proposal....!
- in the project columns you make the "triage" by editing the note and/or
converting notes to issues ("RFCs") for tracking, label adding,...

let me work on the github actions side in the next couple of days; maybe I
can figure out automation...

Regards

Matthias