Yes, cycles containing a finalizer aren't guaranteed to be freed. As others
have pointed out, this is documented. SetFinalizer is really designed for a
narrow set of use-cases, so concessions were made for overall GC
performance. This case is one of them.

IIUC, the core problem is a combination of the fact that the cycle can be
arbitrarily deep and the GC necessarily has to keep referents of the
object-to-be-finalized live even if the object isn't referenced anymore.
The GC must follow the pointers in an object's referents, and eventually it
may come upon the almost-dead object it started from. But at that point it
likely has no knowledge of where it came from. It's just a pointer on a
queue. A GC could be implemented that keeps track of where the pointers it
follows came from, but such an implementation would be substantially less
performant.

Other GCs make the same choice. See the Boehm collector
<https://www.hboehm.info/gc/finalization.html>, for example.