--- Ala Qumsieh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/bench/regexmatch/regexmatch.perl
> > ?
>
> I couldn't understand what's the purpose of the
> shootout? Performance? Character count?

Their purpose was performance. Perl was a bit far down the list of results,
IMHO. However, I thought that it should all be squeezed onto one line at the
same time as making it faster through regexp trickery perhaps.
For example, it took half a second of thought to work out how to double
the speed of the "hash" perl program, for example, so they've really not
ever tried to make the perl fast. Shameful distrespect for the language!

> #!perl -nl
> y/ ()-//d;
> /(?:^|\D)(\d{3})(\d{3})(\d{4})(?=\D|$)/ && print "($1)
> $2-$3";

That passes some things that used to not pass, as it's become bracket
insensitive. I noticed that some of the other languages used slightly
different rexexp techniques.

Not that it matters really, that site stopped caring about its contents in 2001.

Phil

=====
Given that Dubya has control of a such vast arsenal, I'm sure
the most pressing issue on his mind is :

Which bombs would Jesus drop?     (-- "mm")