--- Ronald J Kimball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   For some tests, I will specify that they be
> written using the same logic
>   and data structures.  The goal of this kind of
> test is to try to measure
>   languages doing the same operations, as closely as
> possible.  (Since
>   functional languages have such a different mode of
> expression, I allow
>   them more leeway).

(I know you didn't write this Ronald :)

But that doesn't make sense. What's the use of having
multiple languages if everything is to be written the
same way? We might as well just code in assembly.

Different languages have different strengths and
weaknesses inherent in their design. Perl's regexps
are one of it's strongest points, and failing to
utilize that to its proper extent simply renders this
comparison useless. Same thing can be said of all the
other languages "compared" in this shootout.

Just my humble opinion,
--Ala