> I've discovered if I changed the datanucleus.ConnectionURL to
> "appengine" I was able to get further

You mean like the GAE/J documentation defines for you to do? and also
the DataNucleus docs
http://www.datanucleus.org/products/accessplatform_1_1/appengine/support.html

> This persistence provider doesn't seem to
> allow a method such as isAgitated() to be in a entity class even if

What method "isAgitated" ? There is nothing in the JPA spec with such
a name. This is nothing to do with the persistence provider

DataNucleus is a fully compliant JPA implementation for RDBMS. It is
also a JPA implementation for XML, LDAP, OODBMS, GAE/J, HBase, ODF,
and more. It has all features of JPA that are to be found in other
implementations. Hibernate is an implementation of JPA for RDBMS, and
nothing else (hence since you aren't using an RDBMS here I fail to see
the way you can apply it to your problem with GAE/J)

Please specify which exact JPA behaviour causes "headache"

--Andy (DataNucleus)