Thank you Maciej for your answer.

But I think that my problem is not related to any empty field. The
problem of storage arises as soon as you define twice a persistent
field which is a list of the same type, as I explained earlier. The
only work-around I found is to duplicate the listed persistent class
(B), and have a "List<B'> list1" and a "List<B''> list2" (B' and B''
being copy-classes of B): but since, you cannot properly persist
derived classes from persistent ones, I need to duplicate the code,
which is a shame! If someone by Google can explain this restriction,
this would help us a lot, and prevent from duplicating persistent
classes...

Thank you for your help. Regards,
Édouard