"De gustibus non est disputandum" - if you feel more comfortable with
low-level Api than with JDO/JPA Api it is up to you. You spent two
days trying to cope with Google App Engine JPA/JDO problem, I spent a
lot of sleepless nights migrating my EJB3/JPA application to Google
App Engine keeping backward compatibility (with success). But,
regardless this rather discouraging experience, I don't think that
recommending low-level Api as framework of choice is a good advice.
For me it is much more natural to think and talk using terms and
concepts like "entity classes" (typed), "transactions",
"relationships", "properties", "persistency" - even with all
limitation forced by Google App Engine implementation - than
"Entities" (untyped), "Key", "Ancestors Key", "filter predicate" etc.
I don't think that there is any real advantage of using "pure" low-
level Api against JPA/JDO level. But, of course, I can imagine that
there could be some examples that handling with low level concepts in
more natural - for instance - if all you want is to keep some row data
identified only by keys and keys hierarchy.
But - please forget me - type of thinking: "I cannot cope with some
JPA/JDO problems so I'm switching to low level API" does not convince
me.
The only advantage I see is that you can use objects without all this
JPA/JDO dressing as TO objects - it is a real advantage, I fully agree
with that.