On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM, datanucleus <andy_jeffer...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> > * Transactions in JDO is a global thing tied to the persistence store
> > (one database = one transaction), but for GAE it's one transaction per
> > entity group. It's perfectly reasonable to execute two transactions at
> > the same time, which is hard to fit into the traditional development
> > model with spring.
>
> One txn per PM, at any one time. You can have multiple PMs open, hence
> multiple txns. How Spring handles that is for Spring.

Injecting one PM per transaction seems cumbersome to me. It's also not
documented anywhere AFAIK (at least, not in the transactions page).

> > * The current way of generating a primary key with a parent is not
> > natural IMHO. My key attribute already has a parent, why should I add
> > _another_ attribute with the parent PK?
>
> That is the problem of Google for exposing their Key. A user doesn't
> care about internal handling. When we provided support for db4o we
> didn't expose db4o's key, instead providing a clean long/String/int
> type etc, and doing conversions internally ... aka transparent ... the
> whole point of JDO.

I would say that AppEngine users care a big deal about the internals,
specially when considering sharding. I understand that Google low-level
interface does not fit well with JDO key conversion, but again that is my
whole point - that maybe the standard is not the best option for this
concrete case.

> Please do continue the list, because I'm sure Max et al will be
> interested to know what you think are problem areas so they can cater
> for such things in their DN plugin.

Now that we are discussing it, I am curious: why does datanucleus only
support owned relationships? There is not that much difference between the
typical Foreign Key field and a GAE Key property.

The fact is that the GAE/J DN plugin is
> open source too, and Max et al are open to input on it

I am really grateful for all the insight about the subject. Thanks.