> Now that we are discussing it, I am curious: why does datanucleus only
> support owned relationships? There is not that much difference between the
> typical Foreign Key field and a GAE Key property.

JDO and JPA support **object** relationships, being Java standards for
O-O persistence.
Having a field of type "List<Key>" (or "Key" for 1-1), assuming that
is what you mean by "unowned" relationships, is not an object
relationship; it's a List of key objects.
When a user persists the object, it will store the List of keys, but
has no way of knowing where those objects are, so can't store them
itself; that's for the user to do.
When a user retrieves the object this would retrieve the List ... of
Keys. What the user does with those keys is for them to determine,
since their object only refers to the Keys.
That is O-O. How do you expect this to be different ? and why does
that imply that JDO doesn't support "unowned relationships" ?