I'm also very interested in this feature. I'm looking at plugging in
Lucene ( http://www.kimchy.org/searchable-google-appengine-with-compass
) to achieve search but I can imagine that there will be lots of
issues with storage, indexing, security, CPU use etc with this
solution.

If we can get an indication of rough roadmap then we can decide
whether to delay and wait or bite off this hairy bit of integration
work.

p.s. would it be possible to bridge between java and python
SearchableModel? I think this would be less total work than plugging
in Lucene. I'd be happy to hear any war stories in this area.

Thanks, Steve