I am quite at the beginning of trying to implement compass on GAE, but
maybe it helps if I share my thoughts:

> 1. Task queues do not work, because tasks might get executed in
> parallel what almost for sure messes up your index

maybe setting the rate of the task queue might help?

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/config/queue.html (e.g, 1
task / minute)

> (http://forum.compass-project.org/message.jspa?messageID=299109#299109)
> 2. Compass uses a huge amount of CPU

I haven't experiences with that yet

> 3. Frequently, the Index gets corrupted and your have to reindex
> everything => quite a pain (random, strange errors)

you could set up a cronjob that calls a servlet once a day. the
servlet gets all keys for a certain entity and split's up the bunch of
keys into small portions (e.g., one-to-many tasks).

> 4. The search is not really fast

At the moment I need compass for just one table (where I have to
search about a lof of properties (also in the same query) which is
hardly possible using regular datastore queries. Additionally, I would
also need a lot of indexes (which is imho circumvented by compass). I
also don't have a lot of information to index per property (e.g., no
datastore texts).

In addition, the compass trunk includes now the option to put some of
the generated lucene indexes into memcache (which I think may speed-up
the search process).