On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:46 AM, a.maza <andr.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> regarding compass:
>
> what about creating a task, which fetches a number of entities in
> batch mode and (re-)indexes them?

I implemented a completely manual indexing using task queues (and many
other ides), and in theory that's really cool.
However I had three problems:

1. Task queues do not work, because tasks might get executed in
parallel what almost for sure messes up your index
(http://forum.compass-project.org/message.jspa?messageID=299109#299109)
2. Compass uses a huge amount of CPU
3. Frequently, the Index gets corrupted and your have to reindex
everything => quite a pain (random, strange errors)
4. The search is not really fast

Summing up: Compass is really cool, but it (and lucene) is not made
for GAE. And imho it does not work well.

However, you can implement FTS using a lucene stemmer and List
properties yourself. And using that approach you are using all
advantages of GAE and it's underlaying datastructures...

Raphael