On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Millisecond <millisec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm getting this log message a lot in my application:
>
> >>"Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your
> request. Most likely, this indicates that you have reached your simultaneous
> dynamic request limit. This is almost always due to excessively high latency
> in your app. Please see http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.htmlfor
> more details."
>
> I do have "excessive latency" in that I run non-trivial tasks in the
> TaskQueue handlers interacting with external systems averaging about
> 10 seconds per handler with a couple per "cycle" pushing the 30 second
> limit, but on the Dashboard my requests/second never seem to exceed
> ~1.5.  I have billing enabled and my understanding is that gives me
> 500 simultaneous requests.

That's not accurate.  Where did you hear this?

Here's the documentation we have on this:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/runtime.html says:

*** An application can process around 30 active dynamic requests
simultaneously. This means that an application whose average server-side
request processing time is 75 milliseconds can serve up to (1000 ms/second /
75 ms/request) * 30 = 400 requests/second without incurring any additional
latency. Applications that are heavily CPU-bound may incur some additional
latency in long-running requests in order to make room for other apps
sharing the same servers. Requests for static files are not affected by this
limit.

*If your application is making efficient use of resources and traffic is
about to exceed your expected maximum queries per second, you can request
that the simultaneous dynamic request limit be
raised<http://code.google.com/appengine/kb/billing.html#cpu>.
App Engine can scale far beyond 30 simultaneous requests; this default limit
is in place to prevent a poorly performing or malicious app from hoarding
resources.*

I suggest that you calculate the maximum number of simultaneous requests
that you need to serve and fill out the above form.

Thanks,
Don