Actually there are lots of jar files coming with appengine with
uncompressed content what could save megabytes of data (http://
groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-java/browse_thread/thread/
0bce0adc3ace4d94#). But I am not sure what effect this can have on JVM
startup in GAE/J--if it is less expensive/faster to go use more CPU
cycles to uncompress or to save CPU and use more IO for reads (I would
expect some kind of IO cache being used on the machines there. Peter