I suspect that this is due to the way we make
javax.servlet.jsp.JspApplicationContext available to application code but do
not currently make javax.el.* available.  Thus, the javax.el.ELResolver
class that you are providing in your application is not the same class that
your JspApplicationContext implementation should reference.

I don't know that there is anything you can do in your application to work
around this for the moment (short of not implementing the
JspApplicationContext interface), but coincidentally we are already planning
to fix this in an upcoming release.

If you can provide me with a compiled war directory for your test
application (either privately or by attaching to the bug), I can determine
whether our solution will work for your case as well.