I made a new version of the freemarker.jar, with a workaround for this
problem.

Download link for new freemarker JAR: <https://sourceforge.net/
projects/freemarker/files/freemarker/2.3.16/freemarker-gae-pre3.jar/
download>

The workaround will delay loading of the
FreeMarkerJspApplicationContext class as long as possible. It will now
let the JSP taglibs work in FreeMarker on GAE as long as the custom
JSP tags are not trying to use either
JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext() or PageContext.getELContext(). I
expect majority of taglibs out there fall into this category; those
that do rely on this functionality though are, for the time being, out
of luck - until GAE allows our class that implements
JspApplicationContext through the verifier.

Don, since this workaround is only partial, the ultimate solution
would be to let our FreeMarkerJspApplicationContext through the
verifier. Do you see any problem with that going forward?

Thanks,
  Attila.