Okay, I'm starting to realize what's happening here. We're all talking about
different things:

1. Original poster is asking about HTTPS and appspot in general.  This is
supporter

2. All of you with the issue with port 80 are reporting a known issue with
OpenID (http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=3393). You
can try *any* appspot app besides my OpenID example with HTTPS. Here's one:

https://jspincludetest.appspot.com/repro

This is why it's important to include repro steps when reporting an issue. I
was completely confused.

Let's take the OpenID chatter to a new thread, since we've clearly resolved
any issues with HTTPS and appspot on this one.