In the documentation I've read that I have to use a singleton instance here
you have the source code, perhaps i have here the error?

public class PersistenceManagerHelper {

  /* the singleton instance */
  private static PersistenceManager instance = null;

  /**
   * Hide the constructor.
   */
  private PersistenceManagerHelper() {
  }

  /**
   * Gets the singleton instance of the PersistenceManager
   *
   * @return the singleton instance of the PersistenceManager
   */
  public static PersistenceManager getPersistenceManager() {
 if (instance == null) {
      instance =
          JDOHelper.getPersistenceManagerFactory("transactions-optional")
              .getPersistenceManager();
  }

    return instance;

Thanks.