You need to check out the source code (or even just copy and past the classes) into your own project - no downloads or jars (as stated on the project homepage)

http://code.google.com/p/remote-datastore/source/checkout

To insert data locally just call:

RemoteDatastore.install("myAppId", "war/");

from a static initializer (or some other place guaranteed to only run once) and then you can use the datastore APIs from any Java code e.g. from a main(String[]) method.

There is example code on the homepage using the low-level datastore API to insert data. I have used Twig to insert data too and JDO should work. If you need to read data from a CSV file you will need to parse the file and create Entities from it - there is an Apache CSV file reader you can use for that.