I have to agree on this - the current situation or documentation
regarding this topic is absolutely useless at this point.
It seems that no one cares to dump data from the appengine to the
local datastore. No one testing locally with real data?
[rant off]

I have the same problems and can't import any data locally. If someone
has managed to import data locally (without any programming) in the
java-environment, then please share your success! :)

Tom