>From my experience : I do NOT expect a better write performance than 1
transaction/second when creating entities inside one given entity group
(with 1 entity created in each transaction).

In your case : if dataset creation is an offline process, you can rely on
entity groups and parent/child data modelling, no matter how many child
entities you want to store. But you will have to expect high datastore
contention level.

My suggestion : in your data model design, only use parent/child design
when transactional features are REALLY required.
If transactional requirement are not so high, prefer to break your data
model into smaller entity groups.