+1 on this one. DataNucleus is a core library for those of us using
JDO or JPA.

I am fairly ruthless in avoiding third party plug-ins for my GAE/J app
in order to minimise the risk of improvements stopping permanently,
but I decided to use JDO so I have no choice but to depend on GAE's
use of DataNucleus.

Max Ross of Google seems to have disappeared from view since the end
of August. He did (and hopefully still does) lots of datastore-related
work.