There's a big difference between something that is deprecated and something
that isn't getting any new features.  JDO/JPA is most certainly not
deprecated.  We are making sure it is keeping pace with our new SDK
releases, and we hope to be able to start enhancing it as soon as we can.
 There is still a lot of good and important work to be done on this library,
but the App Engine team always prioritizes the reliability and availability
of our product over feature-related work, and as of late, those of us
working on the Datastore have been almost entirely focused on the former
(did you see the mention of the "High Replication Datastore" in our latest
blog
post<http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2010/12/happy-holidays-from-app-engine-team-140.html>
?)

Finally, I'll point out that our DataNucleus plugin is completely open
source.  If you or anyone else in the community would like to submit a patch
with thorough test cases we will be happy to work with you to get it
submitted.

Thanks,
Max