Maybe you can do something like that:

*Use openID APIs to log in your user (you can serve all Google Apps
domains with a single app. This is no more tied to a single domain).
See
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/users/overview.html#Authentication_Options
and http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/openid.html for a guide.

*Keep the old version of the app for your existing customer, tied to
their domain.

All it requires is a double deploy (maybe with some minor tweaks to
keep the openID stuff out of the old customer's version) for your
application.

If you want to migrate your old customer's data to the new app, you
can also see if new tools for massive data migration (see announcement
of high replication datastore) can do the job you need. Some time ago
userIDs were stable across login options (google apps domain / openID)
so it should not be hard to migrate everything.

Regards
Lorenzo