It's not my benchmark, it's Slim3's :) ...but you're right, it's bogus. I
asked on the main appengine group too, and it turns out the low-level
benchmark is doing lazy loading. With that fixed, their numbers come out
like yours.

I found this one too, which also gets results like yours:
http://gaejava.appspot.com/