On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Slim3 is indeed faster than any other because of the simple fact that it
> uses apt(code generation) instead of reflexion, the generated code it's
> almost the same that you'll write by-hand to wrap the low-level api.

I'm really not trying to attack Slim3 the product - I'm sure it's
solid, it clearly has quite a community behind it.  And I'm sure the
global transactions feature is great news for those that need it.

I'm annoyed by two things:

 1) People who post benchmarks that purport to show something they do not.
 2) People who repeat memes uncritically.

For example, you repeat that Slim3 is faster because it uses code
generation instead of reflection.  Have you profiled these systems?
Have the Slim3 developers?  Even if Slim3 is faster, how do you/they
know it's because of reflection and not some other characteristic of
their code?  This has the same sound of people who blindly proclaimed
"garbage collection is slow!" and designed synchronization schemes
(ala early EJB) that actually reduced performance.

I am deeply skeptical that reflection is the issue, considering that
there are exactly three reflection calls (construction and two
setters) per entity, and a helluva lot of other processing involved.
Sure, it's possible, but I won't believe it without profiling.

Another problem with the reflection theory:  According to the
corrected Slim3 benchmark, Slim3 is now considerably faster then the
Low-Level API.  Which presumably doesn't use reflection.

Jeff